I’ve been in the gym for about 2 years now and have done almost all the stupid things you could do in there – from doing curls on day 1 to not using a towel to wearing tights that were see through (Not good). Those were all stupid things. But I learned stuff from being an idiot and eventually came up with a bunch of smarter things to do to optimize your time and effort spent in the gym.
- Weights before cardio – else you will be too tired to lift at your full potential. Besides, a moderate intensity cardio will increase blood flow all over your body and aid in muscle recovery.
- 100% Whey is not better than a mix of Whey, Soy, Casein and eggs – a mix of those will ensure you have a constant supply of protein that doesn’t all digest in a few moments.
- You don’t need to drink a protein shake right after your lifting session unless you are working out while practicing intermittent fasting.
- Free weights over machines any day unless you are injured already.
- Increasing the Time Under Tension is very very beneficial.
- If you have problem balancing a bar, practice with dumbbells more often.
- Same goes if you have noticeably uneven muscle growth (there will always be a little bit of uneven muscle development)
- Practice more compounded lifts.
Now when it comes to cardio,
- All forms of cardio – light, moderate and hiit has its own place. One is not completely better than the other.
- If you have a hard time running at a high-speed on a treadmill, try to reduce the speed and increase the inclination. Eventually you will be able to run faster and longer.
- While running, rather than tracking the distance you ran and measuring progress, tracking the amount of time you ran at a good pace will be a more motivating indicator of progress.
Some general rules and hacks for the gym are
- Use the gym during odd hours according to your schedule. Mine is crowded in the morning and in the evening. However, my office time is 11–8 or 12–9 depending on my preference. So I hit the gym around 10 when everybody else is at their office. Make such arrangements as you see fit.
- Be mentally prepared to do lifts that you can do and not the ones you want to do. Everybody wants to do bench press on Monday. But hey, the squat rack will be practically free on Monday.
- Use a towel – to keep the bench and the equipments neat and clean and also to let passersby know that you are not done with the equipment.
- Learn to share – share the bench with another guy. While he is doing his set, you would be resting, once he is done, you can proceed and this can go on as a cycle.
- Stay away from playing music on the common audio system. Your favourite music might seem like absolute load of bull crap to someone else – just like how theirs might sound like a bunch of hyenas howling to you.
6. Have a strong black coffee without sugar before you hit the gym. It’s the best pre-workout.
7.Don’t sit while you are resting. Keep walking around and keep the momentum going on.
8. Don’t waste time in front of the mirror until you are done for the day.
9. Beginner programs…If havn’t been to the gym in a while, start a beginners program
10. Wear sweat pants if you plan to do leg raisers and the likes of it. Nobody wants to see your legs as your shorts slip down. Also, don’t wear them as low waist. Nobody wants that either. Also if you are self conscious about something like me (I got junk in the truck) wrap a sweater or shirt around your waist while you squat.
Lets make gainz in 2019